To summarise, moving to the X1 Gateway was a huge mistake. Everything you would expect from a new build apartment building within Salford Quays – Gateway is not. We were really excited to move here, for the following reasons:
1) Location. Media city is a 10 minute walk away, the Metrolink stop directly opposite and Tesco local next door. Only a short drive in to Manchester and with Old Trafford nearby, it’s in a superb location, hence why we moved here.
2) Views. If the windows were ever cleaned, you would have views from the higher apartments across the city and beyond. Any apartments below the 12th floor there’s no view other than other apartment blocks.
But the reason moving to Gateway was (and would be) a mistake is because of:
The negatives. This list won’t be exhaustive by any means, but bear these in mind when considering whether to move here:
• The lifts don’t work. Neither of them. Both were out of order for over 2 months recently, despite all the calls, emails and complaints to the building management team, and have now broken once again.
• The car parks shutters don’t work and haven’t since moving in. We pay £135 for our space, and due to the car park being insecure, random cars and vans parked in our spot near enough everyday, and with building management not repairing the shutter they had no way to enforce this or prevent outsiders taking our spot.
• Apartment itself wasn’t even finished. During our viewing, X1 told us the issues would be fixed. Upon moving in, there were still pieces of flooring missing, light fittings hanging loose, balcony roof panels hanging down, walls unpainted. When this was pointed out, and eventually complained about, X1 management just ignored this and to this day we still have floor panels missing.
• No secure space for parcels to be delivered. Tenants will testify here that near on every other day parcels are stolen because they are just left on the front desk by the front door, which isn’t manned because X1 refuse to employ a concierge, there is only a security guard at the desk usually from 8pm until 6am.
• Exterior of the building has been left unfinished. There are cladding panels missing, the protective stickers around all of the windows have just been left on, there are windows at the front of the building smashed and left insecure and in a state of disrepair, and overall is just unsafe.
• The gym isn’t one. None of the equipment works as the machines have all broken down, free weights aren’t allowed as there are no staff inside the building, and despite complaints this is still the case for months now.
• Communal areas are constantly dirty, with empty beer cans and bottles left around on the hallways, food packages left in the lift and even bin bags left in the communal area downstairs.
• Overall lack of management of the building. All complaints seem to be ignored, damage left un-repaired, and the fact that a group of residents (over 120 at present) has been set up to try to have all the issues resolved (with no success whatsoever) says it all really
Please tell us what you like and dislike about this area:
Location. Media city is a 10 minute walk away, the Metrolink stop directly opposite and Tesco local next door. Only a short drive in to Manchester and with Old Trafford nearby, it’s in a superb location, hence why we moved here.
Moving here and to this area was a mistake though, and here’s why:
• The local area is unsafe to walk around. The park next door is a hotspot for robberies, cars parked nearby are frequently broken in to, and only recently there was a machete attack right outside of the building.
• There is no on-street parking available for miles. Parking attendants are regularly outside issuing tickets if anybody tries to park near to the building.
• Despite residents from all around making complaints, the bins are left overflowing inside and outside of the building permanently, and are genuinely a health hazard.
• There are long term roadworks immediately outside the building at the time of writing this, and will be for the next year or so, so the traffic is a nightmare and constant noise from the building work is audible always even with the windows closed .
Now for the negatives. This list won’t be exhaustive to any extent, but the main points
Please share one thing (or more) which you wish you had known before you moved in:
I wish I had spoken to current residents living here before moving in. The Gateway wasn’t listed on Homeviews when we moved here, otherwise we wouldn’t be here. I’m confident most other residents will write similar reviews to this one, and hopefully this gives you an insight in to life at Gateway
How has the building management responded to any problems or issues you have raised:
I’m short, no. X1 have responded to other residents and only to say that the repairs will be done, but still haven’t been repaired.