Being next to Kings X Central is great and the homes are comfortable and represent good value.
There is also a good sense of community because we have had to get together to deal with many too many teething problems. Camden is responding but, in my opinion they hadn’t really understood what it takes to run a premium development. This means, while they say the processes and structures are now in place, still haven’t sorted out some fundamental issues with this development. Others have listed them, but here are the main ones:
– many of the units get much too hot (in the Tower especially), including at night. We think this may be due to the unvented hot water header tank in the same room as the ventilation unit, as well as a lack of lagging to the water pipes in the main services, which makes upper floor landings really warm. The benefit of this is some people NEVER have to put their heating on.
– there isn’t yet in place a process to clean the exterior pillars of the buildings. We are working on this.
– rubbish collection is unreliable because of uncontrolled parking on the estate behind (blocks the trucks)
– there have been multiple failures to hot water and lifts – though Camden claim these are fully resolved, we are yet to see concrete evidence of these (the lifts in 9c did fail recently)
– there aren’t yet abseiling points to the Tower roof which means the balcony glass to floors 5+ isn’t cleaned – again we are working with Camden on this
– transparency around the service charge is poor
– there are some people who have had significant numbers of snagging issues that remain unresolved. To be fair Camden have just instituted a new programme to try to get these finally fixed, but again, we are yet to see if this happens
– we are able to deal with Camden CIP team at the highest levels, and they appear to have a positive attitude and a desire to change things. They say they have put processes in place that should improve all service to CIP residents (not just XY), but we are yet to see ANY REAL IMPROVEMENT to services. They are a council and they are SLOW.
– Savills and Camden’s direct management team reports has improved dramatically in terms of communications responsiveness, but problem resolution remains poor
– the concierge team are now really great, and the service they give has improved because of residents’ feedback
– there’s a good sense of community here and an informal residents’ group (ask at concierge, they can put you in touch)
– the buildings are secure and generally we have few security issues considering it’s an urban development, although there are one or two issues with specific people in a specific block that still need sorting out
– York Way is up and coming, but represents great value vs N1C, which is obscenely expensive!: the old Fayers site will eventually be replaced with new buildings, there are new plush offices opening in April 2020, Egg will be moving backward from York Way and further down Vale Royal (once Fayers is demolished), Tileyard (look it up) encourages young creative people to work in the area, Two Tribes and Little Creatures breweries are nearby and are great, the lower section of York Way (Kings X triangle extension) will soon develop and will have shops etc., and Facebook, Google, Adidas are all building offices in N1C…
In short, if you are looking to rent or buy, I would pause a few months, but do come back to these reviews once things have improved. We are keen that XY realises its true potential and many of us are working hard to ensure it does. We will be sure to shout about the improvements when they do, eventually, happen!
If you do intend to buy, these flats really do represent good value (that was one positive finding from the survey we conducted), so you WILL be comfortable and happy here. We just want you to be aware of these bumps in the road, so do get in touch with the residents’ group. I would negotiate very hard with Camden, and I would ask to be shown the units they are not listing – there are plenty that are unsold right now (Brexit I suspect), but I bet they aren’t listing all the available units right now.